Login

Tetons 16th-20th?

Home Forums Ask the Powderchaser Tetons 16th-20th?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Powderchaser 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Myre
    Participant

Any speculation on Targhee/ JH Feb 16th – 20th?

Powderchaser
    Keymaster

Its a bit early to get details. The good news is that high pressure next week looks to break down with storms likely towards the 16th-20th in the West. Currently there is a signal that the Cascades and Sierra are highlighted followed by the Wasatch and perhaps Tetons. The long term ensembles give me a decent idea that low pressure is likely however by the beginning of next week I should be able to narrow down the track of the best powder. JHMR is closed currently due to power lines down but will most likely be back open in the next 5-7 days. Please donate to Powderchasers as I usually offer custom powder planning (1:1) for the numerous folks that have donated $50 or more. I don’t ignore the forums however. After the 20th high pressure might build in again? PCS

wc440
    Participant

16th-20th conditions will largely depend on how much top to bottom snow the tetons receive between now and then. Right now, surfaces below 8500′ are crust or dust on crust. unless theres a foot plus on the valley floor in the next 4 days (unlikely), I would reroute. Higher elevation snowpacks are all sorts of wacky now too. Have heard reports of funkiness at targhee lower elevations too.

Powderchaser
    Keymaster

ITS Powderchaser Steve: Snowpack up there is deep so personally don’t feel its a major issue (Friend just skied Teton Pass yesterday and said it was great). Storms are likely by this Friday (light amounts) and another wave late Saturday into perhaps Monday (Moderate amounts). These systems will be warm with 32-35 degrees at the base (Rain and snow) and all snow on the mountain. Might be all snow at the base of Targhee (Higher). Definitely a colder system than the last one that hit them hard with mank. I don’t see an epic dump but certainly 6 inches or more. Its still too far out for exact amounts. I can narrow in later. I normally provide custom forecasts (if your chasing) for donations of $50 in the powder bank. Do you have your trip booked already?

pointspartners
    Participant

I have reservations for the same dates in JHMR?

Should I change plans and go to Tahoe?

#chasingpowder

Powderchaser
    Keymaster

Did you go to JHMR?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.