Login

Utah vs Colorado Dec 30 – Jan 3, swede chasing pow

Home Forums Ask the Powderchaser Utah vs Colorado Dec 30 – Jan 3, swede chasing pow

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bumbello 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bumbello
    Participant

Aiming for some powder over New Year’s but hesitant where to go. I and my fiancé have recently relocated to the states and I’m really really keen to experience some real champagne powder (we’ve been skiing across Europe but this is the first time in the US). Utah and SLC is of course on the map but after checking our the forecasts and current snow conditions it seems colorado is a safer bet even though we’ll then miss out on the real champagne. What to do? I’ve been postponing the decision but need to book this weekend aiming to fly out to either Denver or SLC on Monday. Advise much welcomed.

Cheers.

Powderchaser
    Keymaster

Only light snow during the New Years week. We see better conditions overall in Colorado however Utah is not too far behind. If you want deep your odds are better the 2nd week where some snow is likely in the 9th or 10th

bumbello
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response! I agree, waiting one week indeed looks better but unfortunately it’s this week only that works. Which spots in Colorado looks best for this coming week? And if we head for Utah, would you recommend staying in SLC or Ogden and drive to the best spot of the day or rather try to stay in Alta or Snowbird?

Many thanks for a great site!

Powderchaser
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late response. Right now if you are in Utah head to Grand Targhee or Jackson. Montana would be a good pick as well. Snowfall likely Tuesday/Wednesday (5-9 or more). UT is not going to do well this week. Colorado gets a decent dump Wednesday. Steamboat or Vail would be my picks for Wednesday.

bumbello
    Participant

No worries, much appreciated feedback!

Yes, currently in Utah. Did Alta yesterday and snow status is currently not impressive. But following your advice we’ll skip the New Year Eve party, hit the bunk early to get up early (very early) New Years day and make the drive to Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee.

Happy New Year!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.