After riding the gorgeous powder in both Jackson, Idaho and Utah for the past month the dream has ended and it’s looking like dry and sunny slopes ahead (at least until the end of the month). I feel like I have a few options and wanted to get your opinion!
1. I was thinking about heading out from Utah to Driggs on Friday in hopes of some surprise dust on crust in the Tetons?
2. Heading to SW Colorado and fat biking/ice climbing until the storms return and then heading back to the Tetons?
3. Driving the crazy drive to either Whistler or Revelstoke — caveat that I’ve never done any riding in Canada. I was seeing some snow forecast for that area but at over 16 hours drive is it going to be the powder I’m craving? I’m a little lost trying to check the forecast for that area. If they’re going to get snow I would gladly drive up and stay for the next 2 weeks.
Let me know what your thoughts are on how to survive the dry spell ahead 🙂
I think if you are in powder withdrawal like we all are currently head to Targhee for Sunday. Light to moderate snow will cheer you up. From there, just face the reality that we need a break and time to climb and bike. There might be a moderate storm that swings down to the Sierra next Tuesday or Wednesday and pushes into the Wasatch and most of the Rockies mid week. We need to watch that one! After that most moisture is in the PNW with flip flopping snow levels. Canada could do well in that pattern but I would not chase there unless I had colder temps. Need to watch that! Most storms after mid next week look to head north. Please donate to keep our dreams alive.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Have Instagram? Use the hashtag #powderchasers to see it here!
No Instagram? Send Us Your Powder Shot!
NOTE FROM POWDERCHASERS: Predictions offer a best “guess” scenerio with a trend towards a weak or moderate El Nino increasing during the winter months. This is the warmer phase and opposite of a colder phase that pushed heavy moisture north last season. These predictions can change however consistent in … Continue reading
EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO) DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION issued by CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS and the International Research Institute for Climate and Society 14 June 2018 ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Watch Synopsis: ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to 50% during fall, … Continue reading
Update: Remember that most resorts outside the Front Range in this forecast are closed for the season. The next storm system will impact southern Colorado primarily on Thursday night and Friday. Moisture will spread north Friday afternoon through Saturday and impact the Front Range Ski areas. This system is very moist. … Continue reading
April 18, 2018- AM Report I nabbed what may be my last day of the season yesterday at Snowbird. 4 inches on the morning snow report kept most folks in bed (Many have put their boards away for the season). By 9AM there was a solid 7 inches at lower … Continue reading
April 14, 2018 Its been a wild ride for Powderchaser Steve in the past 3 days. Thursday brought 8-9 inches to Snowbasin by 9:30 AM (I was in position) followed by an afternoon of heavy snow and wind at Snowbird (5-9 inches). On Friday I scored 10 inches at Big … Continue reading